I cannot build anymore :-(

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Thu Oct 20 21:22:39 BST 2022

Hi Andreas,

First of all: thanks for running git builds and testing them - this really
makes a difference!

Am Donnerstag, 20. Oktober 2022, 20:32:43 CEST schrieb Andreas Schleth:
> my latest try to build KPA ended with:
> CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:25 (cmake_minimum_required):
>   CMake 3.18.0 or higher is required.  You are running version 3.17.0
>
> Is this really a hard requirement?

Our general policy is "latest Ubuntu LTS plus half a year or so" and Debian
stable.
The reasoning being two-fold:
1. We don't want to amass #ifdefs until the code becomes unmaintainable.
2. This is something we can actually support in the CI - i.e. we know that at
least it compiles on the supported platforms and isn't silently bit-rotting
without anyone noticing.

If it's only cmake, we can switch back if it helps you. CMake is quite stable
and I'm not aware of any particular reason we have to use the newer version.

> I am (still) on openSuse Leap 15.3, so I would need a dist upgrade to
> leap 15.4 (has cmake 3.20) - I can and will do it, but later ...
>
> OK, ok - the latest ubuntu LTS 22.04 release has a newer cmake but the
> still living LTS 20.04 (focal) has not (3.16).

Does openSuse Leap 15.3 have the required dependencies for Qt and KDE
Frameworks? Because that's something that I can not easily revert.

You should have Qt >= 5.15 and KF5 >= 5.78

We also bumped the version for ECM, but that /should/ be a as easily
revertible as the cmake change.

Can you check your Qt and KF5 versions to see if reverting cmake would
actually help? Maybe even a test-build with the cmake_minimum_required line
changed to 3.17?

Cheers,
  Johannes