[KPhotoAlbum] New video backend

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at blackie.dk
Wed Jul 28 10:12:11 BST 2021

Hi,

If you are using KPA from git, then please fetch the lastest version and
give it a try.

I've reworked the video backend, so it now can use one of Phonon, QtAv,
and VLC

Here is the motivation for this change:

There are unfortunately no video player which just works out of the box
for everyone.
KPhotoAlbum therefore comes with three different back-ends, choose the
one that works the best for you

*VLC* seems to be the best supported video player back-end, meaning it
can play most video formats.
It has one drawback though, it requires X11.
If you use Wayland, then you will find that the videos shows up in a
window of their own, and in this case
VLC is likely not a very good fit for you. If on the other hand you do
use X11 then VLC is likely your best choice.

Traditionally KPhotoAlbum has been using *Phonon* as the video player
back-end. We've unfortunately seen it crash
on many different video formats - possibly because our system wasn't
correctly configured.
If this is the case for you (and you can't use VLC), then try the *QtAV*
back-end,
which seems to support a lot of formats (everything we threw at it).
*QtAV* unfortunately also has a drawback - it seems to get slightly out
of sync between video and audio.