[KPhotoAlbum] UI-Glitch?

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Tue Feb 2 20:03:19 GMT 2021

Hi Johannes,

I had to try the search box in thumbnail view *for the first time ever*
to be able to answer.

It seems to do a global string search across all labels and category
entries to filter the thumbnails on the fly.
OK if I ever wanted to find my image file P1240312.jpg this might be a
use case for me, but who looks at the filenames anyway (as long as they
are reasonably unique).

I use the search box in many other cases (when sifting through
categories or so) but then I always know which data pool I am fishing in.

So my preference would be #3:
- when in thumbnail view: focus on the thumbnails,
- when in other views: focus on the search box.

This might be inconsistent from the view of the programmer, but I guess
it is much more natural for the user.

If you look at the different views and what do we do there, we come up
with three different animals:
* For each category we have a list: mouse click on the icon in main
window - mouse click on item (short list) or keyboard input into search
box and then a mouse click - view closes by itself (good).
* Then we have the two special items Exif and Search (and the Geo
Position which in my case hangs indefinitely (but I also do not use it))
- there we get a new UI (also OK)
* Finally we have the thumbnail view. This is where we spend most of the
time scrolling, selecting and whatever.

Sometimes I do my selection with the Search Dialog (using combination of
items, sometimes with negation) or a few selections via the category
lists. After that "view thumbnails" - and then crtl-a & do something
with the whole selection
Or, I think this is my most important use case: I have a set of new
images and tag them with tokens (A-Z) in full screen mode or in
thumbnail view. Then I select this token, switch to thumbnail view and
do crtl-a, crtl-2 and start tagging all these tagged images together.

Are there other opinions on this?

Best regards, Andreas