[KPhotoAlbum] UI-Glitch?

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Mon Feb 1 22:50:12 GMT 2021

Hi Andreas,

> When switching to thumbnail view, my finger memory tells me, that I
> should be able to immediately hit crtl-a (to select all).
>
> But nowadays, I first have to click with the mouse somewhere into the
> thumbnails and only then I am able to use the shortcut.
>
> I guess this is not intentional or is it?

No, not really intentional. It is a direct result of the new freeform search
feature: the search bar now gets focus because it's no longer disabled in the
thumbnail view.

Before I implement a fix I'd like some input from you all, though. What's the
best overall user experience?

1. Status Quo
The search bar always has focus. Thumbnail page needs explicit focus. Other
browser pages (overview page, category page) behave as before.

2. Search bar without focus
The search bar does not get focus when a page is activated. Thumbnail page
behaves as before. Other browser pages (and thumbnail page) need click on
search bar to activate.

3. Compromise / inconsistent behaviour
Thumbnail page behaves as before; search bar needs click to focus. Other pages
behave as before; search bar gets focus when page is activated.

For variants 2 and 3 I would probably bind "/" to activating the search bar
(Ctrl+F is already bound to the search dialog).

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe this lends to variant 4:

4. Remove search bar
Remove the search bar and provide a search pop-up as found in most browsers.
The pop-up could be triggered by pressing "/".

If I missed the optimal solution, I'm of course open to other suggestions as
well ;-)

Cheers,
  Johannes