[KPhotoAlbum] Annotation performance improvments

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Jan 18 17:44:25 GMT 2020

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 18:17:45 +0100, Andreas Schleth wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> I only did:
>  >git reset --hard
>  >git pull
> and then I still got the older version.
>
> What I missed was:
>  >git checkout master
> I tried some other branch a while ago and was still stuck there.
>
> Now I am at:
>
> Version v5.5-195-g8b4f6d4c
>
> and the same test as before yields:
>
> real       0m44,013s
> user       0m11,554s
> sys         0m0,833s

Most of that I presume was during startup (and search for new images,
presuming that was turned on)?  At this point, the first time you open
the annotation dialog there will be a delay of a few seconds while the
geomap libraries are loaded, but tagging 8000 out of 40000 images
should have virtually no delay.

> Whow! This really is an impressive improvement.
> I recant my previous pessimism.
>
> Thanks, Andreas
> Am 18.01.20 um 17:01 schrieb Robert Krawitz:
>> On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 16:42:13 +0100, Andreas Schleth wrote:
>>> Hi Robert,
>>>
>>> as suggested, I did a test with my setup:
>>>
>>> thumbnail view on all images ... select 2 years, tag 8717 (of ~40k)
>>> images w. one new tag ... home ... untag the same set of images ... home
>>> ... exit (without saving)
>>>
>>> Version v5.5-150-g323e2b29 (old)
>>> real       5m29,668s
>>> user       4m43,596s
>>> sys         0m1,196s
>>>
>>> Version v5.5-157-ge7a816cb (new)
>>> real       4m48,113s
>>> user       4m25,635s
>>> sys         0m0,976s
>>>
>>> There is a short delay before the annotation dialog pops up
>>> After tagging and hitting "done", KPA enters a phase of 100% CPU usage
>>> and there is a long delay until the dialog window closes.
>>> Afterwards, KPA hangs for about the same amount of time with 100% CPU
>>> until I can close the thumbnail view.
>>> The same delays happen in the untagging process.
>> Both old and new predate my latest round of changes.  Please try the
>> current master.

--Eric Crampton