[KPhotoAlbum] mapview-patch

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Tue Dec 29 23:39:57 GMT 2020

Hi Reimar,

Am Montag, 28. Dezember 2020, 18:32:12 CET schrieb Reimar Imhof:
> For me the locations are a nice feature I'm using frequently, but i also
> don't know much about the code.
> I think my patch just fits with the actual user interface.
> But I didn't mean to say anything about how the user interface should
> behave. If there is a GUI standard kphotoalbum should try to implement it.

We don't really depart from what Marble is providing us with, UI-wise. OTOH,
Marble isn't centered around *selecting* something on a map.

> And I think, it should be obvious to the user how the user can interact
> with the software. At the moment it's not that clear - at least to me.

I agree with you. Our goal when rewriting the map interface was more technical
(i.e. replacing kgeomap with Marble) than user-centered, and it shows. In the
end I decided that the state as we have now is "good enough" to be usable.

Thanks for reminding us that we should really improve things in this
department ;-)

> don't understand when clicking on the map outside an image cluster does
> select an image cluster (I don't expect this at all and don't understand
> what's selected) and when it does not. The next thing is, when it doesn't
> select an image cluster I can move the map around and the hand mouse
> pointer indicates I could do so. But if (why ever) an cluster got selected
> I can't move the map.

This should get more intuitive by implementing visual feedback (i.e. changing
the mouse cursor and highlighting the "active" cluster).

I mostly avoided/ignored the map code since moving to Marble - I guess this is
a good time to revisit it and implement the visual feedback.

> So I'd be happy if the user interface could get a
> little more obvious or simple to use.

I'm not entirely sure whether the whole Ctrl+drag selection is discoverable,
but I don't have any ideas on how to improve this. I'm happy for tips,
though...

Cheers,
  Johannes