[KPhotoAlbum] NVMe

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 13 18:36:17 BST 2019

Unfortunately, I'm not getting a lot of benefit from use of an NVMe;
it looks like I'm hitting other limits right away (MD5 checksumming
and thumbnail extraction) even with everything cached in memory.

With increasing thread counts, it would be very uesful to be able to
farm out checksumming and thumbnail generation.  Checksum generation
shouldn't be much of a problem; it could be computed by the scout
thread and stored in a hash, and only computed by the loader if it
doesn't exist.  Thumbnail generation is a bit trickier due to the
packed format that we use; we'd probably need to use in-memory buffers
or some such.

Thumbnail generation is usually pretty cheap for RAW files, due to the
(usually present) embedded thumbnail.  But other files don't normally
contain embedded thumbnails.

--Eric Crampton