[KPhotoAlbum] Image load optimizations

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Wed Nov 6 23:15:33 GMT 2019

Am Mittwoch, 6. November 2019, 04:19:31 CET schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 23:48:52 +0100, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> > Am Freitag, 25. Oktober 2019, 18:26:53 CET schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> >> I've added UI elements for the image load parameters.
> >>
> >> Note that this is experimental.  Also, the detail parameters don't
> >> take effect unless you set the load optimization preset to Manual.
> >
> > To my shame I didn't come around to testing your patch yet. One
> > thought about the settings data, though: shouldn't we store the
> > settings on a per-database basis?
>
> There are a number of settings that should be database-specific IMO.

ACK.

> Ideally this might be specific at an even lower level than database,
> since one database might span multiple filesystems (mine's about 4TB,
> and it currently spans a 2TB spinner and a 4TB SATA SSD).

Well, one other possibility would be to store the setting per device. I guess
that would need some major adoptions in you code for relatively little gain,
though. "Little gain" because I assume you usually add images to the newer/
faster disk and the other probably contains older/less used images.

> But I think we should take a closer look at the settings dialog and
> think about what really belongs in KPA settings vs. database settings,
> and consider whether we want to store the database settings in the
> database proper.

ACK. I'm so far on improving this because it's a major incompatibility and a
PITA for those users who regularly switch between different KPA versions, but
we'll need to address this some day.

Cheers,
  Johannes