[KPhotoAlbum] Command line filtering

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 17 00:17:08 GMT 2019

For a project I might or might not do, I was thinking of writing a
script to list the images in an index.xml file, with optional
filtering on the command line or via a file.

The filter "syntax" would actually be a perl expression.  This sounds
inefficient, but it can be done via creating the loop as a string with
the filter expression embedded, and then eval'ing the entire loop.
One-off tags like filename, start/end date, height, width etc. would
be expressed as simple variables; an invocation might look like

kpa-filter index.xml '($height * $width > 20000000) && (has_keyword("foo") || matches_person("krawitz") || matches_category("Places", "USA"))'

or put the expression in a file and use it via -f.  The output would
be a list of filenames.

Do people think this would be interesting?  I should warn everyone
that the next month will be very busy for me (I'm hoping it will be,
at any rate) depending upon how deep we go in the NCAA Division III
basketball postseason.

--Eric Crampton