[KPhotoAlbum] Icons problems in Debian buster

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Fri Aug 30 21:26:34 BST 2019

Hi Joe,

I can relate to your comment - troubleshooting icon problems is not as smooth
an experience as it could be...

Am Mittwoch, 28. August 2019, 15:14:04 CEST schrieb Joe:
> A bit off topic, but one of my pet peeves with KDE has been being able
> to select an icon in the configuration  GUI, but still not being able to
> find it in the file system.
>
> (I wish  I could just right click on them and get their properties
> including their location.)

That would indeed be a nice feature. This could possibly be a relatively
straignt-forward beginner path for KIconDialog[1].

[1] https://api.kde.org/frameworks/kiconthemes/html/classKIconDialog.html

> I have lost a number of icons I wanted to copy and keep when they got
> replaced in an upgrade, etc.
>
> This is the first I've heard of kiconfinder and I will use it. Thanks
> for mentioning it.
>
> Are there any other tricks or utilities like this?

Sorry, none that I know of.

> Where is it documented (other than in kiconfinder --help-all)?

There's no documentation as far a I can tell.

> What if I don't know the exact name of the program/icon (which
> kiconfinder seems to need)?

I usually use the KIconDialog mentioned above by opening the properties dialog
of any random file in dolphin. The search there is actually quite decent ever
since you can search all categories at once. When I've found the icon I was
looking for, I note down the name ;-)

Cheers,
  Johannes