[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum maintainership

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Wed Apr 17 21:30:29 BST 2019

Hello everybody!

I have asked Jesper, as the last "official" maintainer, as well as my co-
developers Tobias and Robert how they would like me taking the position of
maintainer for KPhotoAlbum.

In short: I'm glad to inform you that I am the new maintainer ;-)

What does this mean?

When Jesper laid down maintainership back in 2012[1], that position contained
maintenance tasks (updating the website, creating releases, support) as
well as being "the voice of KPhotoAlbum".

Although there never was an official successor to Jesper, Jan and Miika took
up the maintenance tasks, thus keeping the project alive. I did a single
release myself, but since 2015, Tobias took over and now does all our releases
and website maintenance.

So that leaves me in the lucky position to have all the tedious work done by
Tobias and I can focus on support and development :)

So, what does this change?

For now, not so much. Mostly When I talk to other KDE people, I can not call
myself the maintainer for KPhotoAlbum, or the project lead. I also take the
endorsement of my co-developers as a sign that they are confident that I lead
the project in the right direction[2].

In short: this helps me in being the lead developer and in speaking for the
project.

Speaking of which - I think this is a good time to speak for the KPhotoAlbum
project:

I'd like to thank everyone who helped make KPhotoAlbum what it is today. Thank
you Jesper for starting us on this journey and for all the work you poured
into it! Thanks to all previous and current contributors! Git log currently
lists 65 committers, but that only grasps a small part of all people who
contributed to KPhotoAlbum. A special thanks to all the translators who do an
amazing job!
Also, I would like to thank all people writing here on the mailing list (and
occasionally in IRC or via personal email) - a community of users that
actually want to use a KPhotoAlbum makes writing and improving it so much more
fun :)

Cheers,
  Johannes

[1] https://mail.kdab.com/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2012-January/004799.html