[KPhotoAlbum] Testers wanted: Show date-range for tags and performance

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Sat Apr 13 22:49:19 BST 2019

Am Samstag, 13. April 2019, 20:35:01 CEST schrieb Robert Krawitz:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 15:18:31 +0200, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've implemented a display of date ranges of tags. I.e. when browsing,
> > you'll now see the time range of the images tagged with that specific
> > tag.
> Not sure how much I like this.  It's a bit cluttered, and the
> start/end dates don't line up in columns (partly because of the date
> format).

Well, one option would be to make two columns instead, as shown in the
attached screenshot.

> Which brings me to, the fixed date format (d. MMM yyyy) is not a very
> natural one to everybody.  I'd rather have the date format either
> taken from the locale or be user-specified, perhaps from a menu.  This
> wouldn't be too difficult for display purposes, but the hard-coded
> regexp for parsing dates presents problems.

I'm not so sure if I want yet another configuration option. Using the locale
would be preferable from my point of view.

> Also curious why it's done with a regexp rather than
> QDateTime::fromString, if anybody knows.

My first guess would be "historical reasons", but probably the main reason is
the fuzzy date support. QDateTime is exactly one point in time, while
ImageDate needs to do much more: e.g. instead of "2019-01-01 - 2019-12-31" it
would show plain "2019", while a non-fuzzy date would show everything
including seconds.

I guess it would not hurt at this point to revisit the ImageDate::toString()
function and see if we can do better. If nobody objects, though, I'd do this
independently of this feature branch...

Cheers,
  Johannes