[KPhotoAlbum] Load-performance branch

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jun 10 17:41:58 BST 2018

On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 18:07:09 +0200, Angel Lopez wrote:
> I can give you some numbers:
>
> CPU Intel celeron SU2300 (776 points in cpu mark)
> Hard drive is SSD
> Images are Raw files from camera canon 70D (25MB, 5496x3670 (20.2 Mpixel))
>
> test folder with only 857 images
>
> kphotoalbum-Load-performance-stable:
>
> Total files: 857 skipped 0
>
> Loaded  857  images in  170  seconds
> Thumbnail load is very fast. First 32 are already there, if I scroll down
> (procesor usage attached)
>
> kphotoalbum-5.3: (I think, it is last stable version)
> Loaded 857 images in 246 seconds
> Thumbnail load takes 325 seconds

So this is on ntfs, not ext4 or other native Linux filesystem?  That
makes it harder to judge, especially since it looks like you were
running on battery for the load-performance test and AC for 5.3
(sometimes laptops go into lower power mode when running on battery).

You had essentially 100% CU utilization (user+system) for the
load-performance test, and got 5 images/sec.  My tests got (depending
upon how many scout threads I used) 15 images/sec at 18% CPU
utilization and 20 images/sec at 25% CPU utilization.  Either way,
that corresponds to about 80 images/sec if I could achieve 100% CPU
utilization (which I can't, due to being I/O limited).

My CPU has a PassMark rating of 8887; that's about 11-12x as fast, and
I (hypothetically) get about 16x as many images/sec.  That's a bit
slower than I'd expect, but you're using NTFS which imposes additional
overhead (it appears to be a userland filesystem driver, for one).  So
all in all I'd say you're probably pretty close.

> BTW, which is the way to get the last version of code? (I'm not really used
> to git) If I do a "git pull" inside the folder it says it is up-to-date.
> But I can update, by using this method,  the stable branch., for example,
> today I got : "v5.3-54-gef8f68c5-dirty" (which is not the one used in the
> comparative above)

What do you get from

git rev-parse @

?  That tells you the revision you're currently on.

I haven't pushed anything to the load-performance branch for a while,
so you're probably up to date.

--Eric Crampton