[KPhotoAlbum] GPS - get info from gpx, not from Exif

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 23 14:07:06 GMT 2017

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:52:15 +0100, Tobias Leupold wrote:
> Hi Benny!
>
> There's no "official" way to bypass storing the GPS data in the EXIF header. The EXIF DB is just a cache so that the data does not have to be read from the images directly, so changes to the database will be overwritten if some image's data is re-read.
>
> Why don't you want to store the data in the EXIF header? This won't change your image data, and there's a specific EXIF field for this very use case. It's just like storing the correct roation of an image.

I don't care about location data myself, but one of the key points
about KPA (to me, at any rate) is that it doesn't insist on modifying
files to store metadata.  Every time you modify a file, something can
go wrong.

Another reason would be if you're using signed image files -- some
cameras can sign the files in-camera, which some people need for
evidentiary reasons.  I would expect both the image data and metadata
to be covered by the signature; if you modify the EXIF header, you'd
break the signature.

> Getting the correct coordinates from a GPX track is not such an easy task in some cases (according to my experience), thus I check the coordinates and store them in the images to be sure they are correct.
>
> At the moment, I don't see a reliable and persistant way to bypass the EXIF mechanism and still use the map parts of KPA ...

--Eric Crampton