[KPhotoAlbum] KPA 5.1 issue list

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Wed Dec 28 18:21:45 GMT 2016

Hi Martin,
see my (3) comments inside your post.
regards, Andreas

On 28.12.2016 18:59, Martin Jost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> [haven't seen this mail on the list; second try with fixed
> 'from'-address; hopefully you now don#t get it twice...]
>
> here are the open points, I see in KPA 5.1.
> Let me know, in case I should open bug tickets for these for better
> tracking.
>
> This is on openSuse 42.2, patched up to date. KPA 5.1 is compiled from
> source tar-ball. There had been previous versions installed before, last
> had been 5.0.1. (And as a try a state from GIT)
>
> 1. KPA 5.1 might crash after reading new images, if "ffmpeg" isn't
> installed.
> I just re-checked and had to add this "might".
> KPA crashed reproducibly when it had to read a bigger bunch of photos
> from my DSLR (24 MPixel). It had no problems, if "ffmpeg" was present.
> Now I deinstalled ffmpeg and added another single 8 MPixel photo from my
> mobile. But this time it didn't crash and read the new photo.
> So there seem to be more aspects involved.
> I'll do a cross-check on "my other" computers, as soon as I get in their
> reach again.
> Note that mplayer had been present all the time, but mplayer2 hasn't (No
> longer available)
>
> 2. "Maintenance/Build thumbnails" doesn't seem to work
> If I start this, the progress bar stays at 0 %, even if I leave it ~ 1
> h. It also seems to me, that only the thumbnails are created, where I
> scroll the view to.
==> have a look at .thumbnails in the root directory of your image
folder: permissions?  When building thumbnails, do the files here change
size?
I watched a similar behaviour of the progress bar, but after a (longish)
while away from the desk, all thumbnails were built.  So, just the
progress bar might be broken...
> 3. Annotation dialog too high
> The annotation dialog started out (much) too high.
> Probably because of this new 'map' in it.
> The buttons were pushed down below the visible space on the screen.
> That happened on the laptop as well as on the much bigger PC displays.
> This can be solved by editing sizes and contents and then save this.
> But I guess for newbies, this is much too well hidden.
==> This should become a bug: Tobias and I have similar problems.
> 4. At least in one install, parts of the menu entries had been missing,
> due to missing permissions on
> /usr/local/share/kphotoalbum
> /usr/local/etc/xdg/kphotoalbumrc
> (and sub dirs in the path)
> Note that I build as a normal user, but install as 'root'.
> At the same time my root account has a limited umask (077) set.
> I guess the install process should give explicit permissions, instead of
> relying on umask or the one already present on installed files.
==> This was the case in one of the git-master versions, but afaik this
has been fixed in 5.1