[KPhotoAlbum] Some thoughts for KPA 5.2

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Tue Dec 27 13:36:29 GMT 2016

Hi everybody,

for me, the current version of KPA works fine.  But I always have some
explaining and some works "in the basement" to do if my wife or others
use KPA.  Therefore, I think some ironing out rough edges would be
beneficial for all of us:

a) Annotation dialog:
This is one of the best and central features of KPA.  I tried a quite
few other photo tagging tools and always came back to KPA. Therefore I
think, this central feature should be as polished as it can get:
  - It should always start up either in full screen or at most in screen
size.  Right now it always starts up in a size larger than my screen.
  - Saving a layout should also save the (relative) sizes of all widgets
including the preview image
  - window layout should get a dedicated button at the lower left edge
to ease accessibility
  - In the latest version, sorting the tags by time seems to be a bit
off - could this have a connection with saving the index file in a
different way now?
  - @Martin Füssel: as you are looking at the map interface: how about
some method of mapping the places tag to a map feature?  Or a point and
click map interface to create a new geo location?  I have a lot of old
scans from slides ...

b) Selecting images by date/time/search:
Being able to drill down to a few images among a large set of some 10000
with a few clicks is impressive and the second power feature of KPA.
This also could use a few optimizations:
  - the lens on the date bar (the_lens.jpg):
On startup it always resides on the oldest image.  Or if a range is
selected and then expanded (switch resolution from years to months), it
always sits on the left end of the range.  Now imagine the case, you
have very old pictures (in my case, starting from 1926): then one has to
shift some 90 years to the right before one can start drilling down.

c) Using a database with several users:
We have a family album which is accessed by various members of the
family (all different users, same group). This only works on the
condition that I periodically change the permissions of .thumbnails to
rw-rw-r-- manually.  All files of KPA should inherit the permissions of
index.xml to make these low level repairs unnecessary.

All these things are no great new features, but would really make KPA
more accessible to less technically oriented users.  I would love to see
KPA enter the circle of programs installed per default in the large
distributions some time.

Andreas