[KPhotoAlbum] KPA 5.1/GIT problems / ffmpeg

Andreas Schleth schleth_es at web.de
Tue Dec 27 12:11:05 GMT 2016

On 26.12.2016 13:18, Martin Jost wrote:
> Hi Andreas,
>
> thanks for pushing me in the right direction.
>
> I got my crashing KPA fixed !
> The trick is to install "ffmpeg" !
> Regards - and a happy new year !
>
> Martin

Hi everybody,

this is interesting: I just checked my model installation with a few
variations:

a) find some version of mplayer and install: this gives incomplete video
thumbnail support, as only mplayer (1) is provided.
b) deinstall mplayer and ffmpeg, but leave the code libs there: no video
thumbnail support
c) install ffmpeg instead of mplayer: this gives complete support for
video thumbnails (at least, "check feature set" says so).

In my first install, I just had a lot of ffmpeg codec libs already on
the system as they come with packages as vlc and audacious.  I think, a
parallel install of the packman-version of vlc should be beneficial as
it pulls in a lot of codec libs.

How is the status internally: is Mplayer2 really needed anymore?
Ffmpeg seems to the better option as it is under active development and
seems to do just about everything except brewing coffee.

Andreas