[KPhotoAlbum] problem with very short videoclip length?

Johannes Zarl isilmendil at isilme.lupus.uberspace.de
Thu Mar 28 20:30:02 GMT 2013

Hi GSV,

On Wednesday 27 March 2013 18:52:10 GSV wrote:
> I suspect that the length returned by the thumbnailer may be rounded to
> integer number of seconds, so for those sub-0.5sec clips we get the 0.

I just looked at the code. You are right, the video length is stored as an
integer, thus 0 should be a valid value.

> A resulting problem is that kphotoalbum keeps rescanning those even if
> there have been no changes to the  database.

The problem here seems to be that the video length extractor interprets a zero
value as "unable to determine video length". I guess that should be relatively
straight-forward to fix.

> Is there a way to make kphotoalbum get the first (or any) frame of those
> for its thumbnails and stop rescanning them every time?

As for the thumbnail extractor I guess you'll have to wait until somebody else
chimes in to the conversation - I'm not so intimate with the thumbnail
extractor codebase...

> While googling this issue, I saw some discussion about -forceidx for
> mplayer, but this is not the problem as far as I can tell.

I would think so, too. The isue back then was with mplayer (version 1) having
problems with some videos. If you want, you can verify that mplayer is able to
extract the thumbnails for a video as follows:

TSEC=0
FILE=foo.avi
mplayer -nosound -ss $TSEC -vf screenshot -frames 20 -vo png:z=9 "$FILE"
ls 000*.png

  Johannes