[KPhotoAlbum] problem with very short videoclip length?

GSV gsv000 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 27 17:52:10 GMT 2013

Hi,

I recently upgraded my fedora 15 system to fedora 18 and got kphotoalbum-4.4-1.fc18.x86_64

I noticed a large number of missing thumbnails for video clips (there were thumbnails for
those before) and when I checked stdout I saw a large number of these:

for file  "/mnt/....../DCIM/100CANON/MVI_4028.AVI"
kphotoalbum(10796) ImageManager::VideoLengthExtractor::processEnded: video length returned was 0 for file
+"/mnt/...../DCIM/100CANON/MVI_3721.AVI"
kphotoalbum(10796) ImageManager::VideoLengthExtractor::processEnded: video length returned was 0 for file
+"/mnt/..../DCIM/100CANON/MVI_4029.AVI"
kphotoalbum(10796) ImageManager::VideoLengthExtractor::processEnded: video length returned was 0

All these files are actually very short video clips.

mplayer -identify | grep ID_LENGTH
returns values like 0.07 or 0.2 etc and they are correct.

while
ID_VIDEO_FPS=30.000 also as intended.

I can split those files in frames (as in ffmpeg -i file.avi -f image2 /tmp/test%04d.png)
and I get 5-10 frames as expected.

I suspect that the length returned by the thumbnailer may be rounded to integer number of
seconds, so for those sub-0.5sec clips we get the 0.

A resulting problem is that kphotoalbum keeps rescanning those even if there have been
no changes to the  database.

Is there a way to make kphotoalbum get the first (or any) frame of those for its
thumbnails and stop rescanning them every time?

While googling this issue, I saw some discussion about -forceidx for mplayer,
 but this is not the problem as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any help.

--
GSV