[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Mon Apr 29 16:31:57 BST 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 2:16 PM, Manfred Usselmann <
usselmann.m at icg-online.de> wrote:

> **
>
> Hi Miika,
>
> am 27.04.2013 06:24, schrieb Miika Turkia:
>
>  On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Manfred Usselmann <
> usselmann.m at icg-online.de> wrote:
>
>>  I have about 30000 images and with an earlier version of kphotoalbum I
>> could use the application but 4.4 crashes every time after a while during
>> the generation of the preview images. Last time it happened when 26% was
>> done.
>>

> To me it looks like the crash occurs at raw decoding (kdcraw is a library
> we use for that and seems to be the culprit). However, if that is the case
> the upgrade from older version of KPA to 4.4 should not start crashing (or
> actually the older version should crash the same). Of course the trouble
> could also be how we use the library...
>

> Indeed, I found some files in a subfolder (none image files with misc.
> extensions) which had been there for years without causing issues. After
> deleting those files KPA no longer abended.

Can you send me some file that causes a crash so I can try to see what the
problem is with that/them? Generally we should only handle image files and
extra stuff under image root should not cause problems. But as you
discovered, we do still have bugs...

> But then KPA was very slow. Especially opening the detail window from a
> thumbnail did take for ever. I tried to solve this by reextracting the exif
> information. Didn't help. After a while KPA did crash again with my data
> file with segmentation fault. I noticed that the demo database did work so
> I concluded that it must have something to do with my index.xml. I did
> rebuild my index.xml which took nearly a day.

For me KPA works faster than the previous version. However, when you first
start using 4.4 generating thumbnails will take quite a long time. And
until the thumbnails are generated it is very slow - unusable.

> Now KPA is running again but still unusably slow. And all my
> categorizations / tags are in the old file which I can't open any more. :-(

You should still be able to open the old index.xml (if you did not loose it
completely).  KPA supports command line option -c that takes the index file
as parameter and should allow you to open it up. However, the file name
must be index.xml, differently named file is "sanitized" to index.xml.

I still have some none image files in subfolders (e.g. html, css from html
> slideshows) and also some raw files which may be not well supported (xf3).
> I will try to clean this up to see if this solves my issues.

I do not know about the xf3 but NEF, CR2 and ORF are working fine for me.
(I use the option to use embedded JPG or half sized raw, thus I only load
the embedded thumbnail that is in higher resolution than my display.)

Do you have any other suggestions? Older versions of KPA did work fine...
> Should I try going back to 4.3?

Whatever you do, take backup of the index.xml first.

There is a new "ball" at the bottom of KPA now. Hovering on top of it
should show active and pending jobs and clicking it gives you a run queue
that shows if and what is happening on the back ground. When you are
running KPA, do you have anything on this queue. Once thumbnails and video
length stuff is done, this queue should be empty. And if you still have
very slow KPA when the queue is empty, then there is something wrong
somewhere. Naturally I would like to fix any bugs related to performance
and crashes, but this will require us to be able to see the problem...

miika