[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Mon Apr 29 12:16:09 BST 2013

Hi Miika,

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:50 PM, Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m at icg-online.de>
wrote:

>> I have about 30000 images and with an earlier version of
kphotoalbum I could use the application but 4.4 crashes every time after
a while during the generation of the preview images. Last time it
happened when 26% was done.

> To me it looks like the crash occurs at
raw decoding (kdcraw is a library we use for that and seems to be the
culprit). However, if that is the case the upgrade from older version of
KPA to 4.4 should not start crashing (or actually the older version
should crash the same). Of course the trouble could also be how we use
the library...

Indeed, I found some files in a subfolder (none image
files with misc. extensions) which had been there for years without
causing issues. After deleting those files KPA no longer abended.

But
then KPA was very slow. Especially opening the detail window from a
thumbnail did take for ever. I tried to solve this by reextracting the
exif information. Didn't help. After a while KPA did crash again with my
data file with segmentation fault. I noticed that the demo database did
work so I concluded that it must have something to do with my index.xml.
I did rebuild my index.xml which took nearly a day.

Now KPA is running
again but still unusably slow. And all my categorizations / tags are in
the old file which I can't open any more. :-(

I still have some none
image files in subfolders (e.g. html, css from html slideshows) and also
some raw files which may be not well supported (xf3). I will try to
clean this up to see if this solves my issues.

Do you have any other
suggestions? Older versions of KPA did work fine... Should I try going
back to 4.3?

> The provided back trace does not reveal what causes the
crash, at least I do not see any clear indication. If it is a specific
image a sample would be good to have to debug the issue. Are you able to
compile KPA yourself so that some debug code can be included e.g. to
print the image names that are being processed?

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5115696/kpa/compiling-git-kpa.html
[1]

> The compile instructions should be slightly modified to provide
debug information:
> -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=relwithdebuginfo
>
> and the
printing of file names that are processed should also be added. (I can
send you a patch for that if you are able to do some debugging on
this.)

At the moment I have no time to compile KPA myself but I will
keep the instructions...

Regards,
Manfred

Links: