[KPhotoAlbum] Nef files not displaying embedded jpeg any more?

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 07:09:19 BST 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 5:15 AM, Timothee Groleau
<kde at timotheegroleau.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've just installed 4.3 from source and I've noticed my nikon nef files
> don't display the large embedded jpeg files any more (4352x2868, SUBIFD#0).
> Instead they show the small thumbnail (160x120, IFD#0), which is unusable.
> The feature was working fine at Kphotoalbum 4.1.1. Is that an expected
> change? I've also tried the latest git sources, and had the same result.

This is not intentional and it actually sounds quite strange. As far
as I know (and I tried to check it from sources also), we use kdcraw
library to get the thumbnail. And there did not seem to be any changes
in that part of the code (that should result in the change). KPA
configuration allows you to set the minimum resolution for the
thumbnail to be used, but if that is not met then the raw image is
de-coded and this is quite slow operation compared to using the
correct embedded thumbnail.

> Additionally, I can't find the option "recreate selected thumbnails" any
> more. Has it been removed on purpose? I use that option quite a bit because
> I store processed jpegs back in my nefs (replacing the old jpeg).

Jesper took that feature out when working on the Video stuff. However,
I also used to use it when messed up with developing a RAW file and
want to replace the bad jpeg with good one. Reverting the commits that
removed the feature is easy enough.

> I've moved back to 4.1.1 on my kubuntu box for now, but I'd very much like
> to enjoy the latest development as well .
>
> How can I provide more information to troubleshoot this?

A sample image would allow to replicate the problem. You could also
check what libraries are linked against the 4.1.1 and 4.3/master
kphotoalbum and see if the kdcraw is same or different.

miika