[KPhotoAlbum] New features for testing and discussion

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Tue Jul 31 07:10:58 BST 2012

On Tuesday 31 July 2012 06:32:43 Miika Turkia wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> we have some new features on master branch, thanks mostly to Jesper.
> Testing them out and providing some feedback would be appreciated
> before pushing out a new release. Most of the work is related to
> videos but e.g. SQL back-end has also been dropped and some internal
> refactoring been done. There is also a new background process queue
> with a blinkenlight on main window.

Please do indeed. I've got three weeks of vacation coming up, and would like
to finish this work in that timeframe.

> On discussion side, the annotation window is a bit annoying nowadays.
> The minimal width is too big for me because of some buttons that are
> replicated for each category box even though they are global in
> nature. The and/or selection is the only one that is specific to each
> category and makes sense to have multiple times. On the other hand
> only one set of buttons would be sufficient to select the display mode
> and toggle search mode.

I'm wondering what device you are using KPA on. I tried scaling the window
down, and can get it down to 520 in width.

I like to keep the buttons repeated, as it makes it more obvious that it is
for those lists, than if they were located elsewhere in the window.

Maybe your problem is just that the default size is to big?

> A new button "match word boundaries" is an independent toggle when the
> original ones are like radiobuttons. Thus it might make sense to
> differentiate it from the rest. It also seems to be buggy at least on
> search mode. When I have e.g. a place Indonesia selected and click
> that button, the whole place category list becomes empty and
> re-clicking the button does not affect it. Also the button has
> opposite logic to what I expect intuitively. When clicked it matches
> only from beginning, when unchecked it matches word boundaries. Of
> course the default behavior is a matter of taste and changing the icon
> from {} to ^ would also be sufficient for me.

Johannes, this is your work, pleas work Miika to improve the usability of
this. Please also add a tooltip to the button to explain what it does, and
please find a better icon for it if possible. I'm not even sure I understand
what {} refers to.

> One more thing to test out is the date based search. I changed it to
> allow empty date field on either start or end of the search range. So
> report back if you notice anything strange there.

Miika, thanks for the email.