[KPhotoAlbum] New features for testing and discussion

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 04:32:43 BST 2012

Hello all,

we have some new features on master branch, thanks mostly to Jesper.
Testing them out and providing some feedback would be appreciated
before pushing out a new release. Most of the work is related to
videos but e.g. SQL back-end has also been dropped and some internal
refactoring been done. There is also a new background process queue
with a blinkenlight on main window.

On discussion side, the annotation window is a bit annoying nowadays.
The minimal width is too big for me because of some buttons that are
replicated for each category box even though they are global in
nature. The and/or selection is the only one that is specific to each
category and makes sense to have multiple times. On the other hand
only one set of buttons would be sufficient to select the display mode
and toggle search mode.

A new button "match word boundaries" is an independent toggle when the
original ones are like radiobuttons. Thus it might make sense to
differentiate it from the rest. It also seems to be buggy at least on
search mode. When I have e.g. a place Indonesia selected and click
that button, the whole place category list becomes empty and
re-clicking the button does not affect it. Also the button has
opposite logic to what I expect intuitively. When clicked it matches
only from beginning, when unchecked it matches word boundaries. Of
course the default behavior is a matter of taste and changing the icon
from {} to ^ would also be sufficient for me.

One more thing to test out is the date based search. I changed it to
allow empty date field on either start or end of the search range. So
report back if you notice anything strange there.

miika