[KPhotoAlbum] kphotoalbum method of storing Tags, description

Tim McCormack kpa at brainonfire.net
Sun Jan 29 15:13:30 GMT 2012

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 08:50:22 +0200, Miika Turkia wrote:
> Not corrupting images weights more than possibly loosing the tagging
> or editing steps to develop JPGs out of RAW files.

My camera import script sets all the images read-only precisely to
avoid any possible corruption. I want them to stay byte-for-byte
identical to when they came out of the camera, even though I must
confess I like the *idea* of having the images carry their own
metadata.

My concern is that information will be lost that I don't even
know to protect -- I particularly remember a talk by Jason Scott,
archivist of http://textfiles.com/, where he discussed the problem of
"metadata" in physical artifacts. Who knew that by saving the
blood-stained fragment of a playbill from Abraham Lincoln's
assassination, future generations would be able to scry a genetic
profile of the man?

More realistically, my concern is that I would lose information that
otherwise might be able to prove that an image was taken by my
specific model of camera, etc. Cameras can be fingerprinted by such
things, and I want to make sure I retain the ability to prove
ownership, should it ever become a concern.

 - Tim McCormack