[KPhotoAlbum] kphotoalbum method of storing Tags, description

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 06:50:22 GMT 2012

On Sun, Jan 29, 2012 at 8:01 AM, Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> wrote:

>> KS>  What is the consensus of XMP vs IPTC vs EXIF?
>>
>> XMP seems to be becoming more and more of a standard for writing external
>> data so you don't have
>> to touch the original file.  I actually just wrote a script the other day
>> to extra information
>> from the KPA index.xml and store it in XMP files so that something else
>> could read the KPA tags
>> I've been creating for years.
>

> re: "... in XMP files ..."
>

> My understanding is that XMP is part of the image file? Am I missing
> something?
>
> From wikepiedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Metadata_Platform

All the commercial graphics applications I know of store XMP as
sidecar, and not directly embedded in the image (Bibble5 & AfterShot
Pro, Lightroom). As Adobe puts it:

To avoid file corruption, XMP metadata is stored in a separate file
called a sidecar file.

Not corrupting images weights more than possibly loosing the tagging
or editing steps to develop JPGs out of RAW files. However, I have
added a wishlist item for an option to export images along with the
tags as some standard format (whether it be IPTC, XMP or something
else remains to be seen if someone decides to implement this feature).

> I'm really think it is a extremely bad idea to have two files for one
> picture..

I understand the point here, but the industry standard seems to be to
have the additional metadata as sidecars and not embedded to the image
as used to be the case when e.g. IPTC was developed. Of course my
views are influenced by shooting only RAW and needing to
develop/export the images to JPG before using them anywhere. This step
naturally would allow me to embed any metadata to the images without
ruining the originals.

miika