[KPhotoAlbum] Undocumented/cluttered features in KPA

Andreas Neustifter andreas.neustifter at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 21:00:43 GMT 2012

Hi All,

just some quick comments from my perspective.

On 6 January 2012 09:25, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:

> Based on the recent discussion people asking for 'what's the KPA way
> to do this and that'..
>
> KPA has plenty of features written by many excellent developers who
> have written the code to make KPA suit their needs. Great thing here
> is that it gives KPA unique features. The downside is clutter,
> diversion or even loss of vision. KPA has now quite many features that
> are somewhat unclear even after using it for several years. I'm afraid
> this might make it not that inviting for a new user to start using
> KPA. KPhotoAlbum is a great tool to tag photos but to me it looks like
> that we need to clarify the vision of the project.

A good example is the "Search" that I never, ever use. I bet some are
relying on it heftily. Since the search works almost like the Browser
selection it should have the same results.

> Continue later-button or how to manage untagged images

I guess that one is a problem with too much automation. I do not use
Untagged tags, on the contrary, I have a category "Status" that has
only one tag "Done", I can select by this tag to view all my tagged
pictures. And I attach the tag "Done" manually when I'm done with
images.

> Database backend conversion

I like the XML DB okay so for me the preasure to convert to SQL is
minimal. Its easier parsable and maintainable by editing the XML too.

> 'Direct tagging' in image viewer (the /Pe  and Fx -thing.. )

Never used it.

> Tokens

Oh, thats the one I can not live without. :-)

> 'Jump to Context'

Use it sometimes, it does not add to much clutter but it is badly named.

> RAW workflow

Want one!

> Other?

No currently but I will think about it.

> Basically my message is that now as we will discuss what's the future
> of KPA (and I hope and believe that is has some kind of bright future
> :), I'd truly appreciate if we could build a general vision what KPA
> is, what do we want it to be, what features we have, what do we want
> to have and how do fit together and what's the preferred way to do
> things - and hopefully then document it.

I agree that documenting and polishing the current features may be
needed more than the add new ones.

> Thanks Blackie for your loooong work, let's hope this is a new start
> for KPA. And thanks Heller for making us come together to discuss the
> future.

Yes!

Andi