[KPhotoAlbum] KPA manual

Johannes Zarl isilmendil at gmx.net
Mon Feb 20 22:04:53 GMT 2012

On Monday 20 February 2012 06:11:26 Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Johannes Zarl <isilmendil at gmx.net> wrote:
> > Apropos Workflows: has anyone a decent idea of how to use the
> > AutoStacking functionality?
>
> I tried to add documentation on AutoStacking for new images:
> http://www.vaarin.kalsarit.net/KPA/manual/ch10.html
>
> The autostacking of images under Maintenance menu is a different
> story. There you can stack images with same MD5 sum or images that are
> shot within specified time interval.

I don't have an autostacking entry in the maintenance menu...

> If the first link does not clarify the autostacking properly, let me
> know and I'll try to improve the description (screenshot should be
> added for sure)

Ok, with the help of your text, combined with the "What's this" message and
some trying out, I figured it out. I guess this feature could need some more
documentation. Please add your ideas and suggestions:

"What's this" text
------------------
Should be split into several texts, one for each settings-field:

+ Checkbox "Try to detect multiple versions of files":
<i>File versions search regexp</i> it is assumed that an original version of
the image may exist. The regexp pattern will be replaced with the <i>original
file replacement text</i> and if that file exists, all associated metadata
(category information, ratings, etc) will be copied from the original file to
the new one.</p>

+ Text field "File versions search regexp"
<ul>
match multiple occurrences of an expression by using curly brackets (e.g.
<tt>e{0,1}</tt> matches 0 or 1 occurrences of the character "e").
<li>You can group parts of the expression using parenthesis.</li>
</ul>
Example: <tt>^(.*)-modified\.(jpg|tiff)</tt>

+ Text field "Original file replacement text"
grouped expressions of the <i>File versions search regexp</i> by prefacing the

+ Checkbox "Move meta-data (i.e. delete tags from the original)"
-> Should be documented (sounds dangerous?)

+ Checkbox "Auto-stack new files on top of old files"
-> Should be renamed "Put new images on top of the stack"
added as the topmost image. I.e. the new image will be shown when the stack is
collapsed.</p>

New startup tips
----------------

<tip category="KPhotoAlbum">
You can merge several images into a stack by first selecting them and then
pressing <tt>Ctrl+3</tt>.
</tip>

<tip category="KPhotoAlbum">
into stacks by looking at their filenames. To configure this feature, chose
"Configure KPhotoalbum..." from the Settings menu and set appropriate values
in the "File Searching & Versions" tab.</p>
Suppose you often adjust images and save them under a different filename (say,
FILENAME-adjusted.jpg). Afterwards, you merge the original and the modified
image into a stack.<br/>
In this case, you can let KPhotoalbum do the work for you:
<ul>
<li>Enable the checkbox "Try to detect multiple versions of files"</li>
<li>Enter a regular expression for you modified files: <tt>^(.*)-adjusted\.
</ul>
</tip>

Misc. stuff: The term "file versions" sounds a little funny to me (but I'm not
a native speaker, so maybe it's just me).

I guess that's all for now ;-)

  Johannes