[KPhotoAlbum] KPA manual

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun Feb 12 15:40:58 GMT 2012

Thank you so much for starting this.

I just found out (from this list) that a pdf version was available.
I downloaded it, printed it, and started reading it and making written
notes of things that could use improvement - mostly grammatical things
to start with. I've already found a few features I didn't know were there!

I've been using KPhotoAlbum at a basic level for several years, so I am
familiar with the main features and I do have a large (25k+ and growing)
collection of photos and a few video clips which I am managing for my
partner.

What I'd like to do is get drafts of new documentation and edit them for
grammar and clarity. Since I don't know the code at all and am far from
an expert user, my perspective should be useful - especially since most
of the sections will probably be originally written by people with
extensive technical knowledge of the project who are very "close" to it.

To help this way, I would need to establish a revision work flow with
anyone who wants me to edit their work.

Currently, I know a little bit about HTML, less about XML, and nothing
about docbook or pdf formats. I am starting to learn wiki markup for
another project. I have used very primitive RCS systems in the past, but
do not know anything about git yet. I do know a lot about English and i
do have a professional programming background.

Since most of what I would be doing, at least initially, would be
content oriented (as opposed to layout, etc.), it would probably be easy
enough to edit structured files (whatever docbook looks like), or plain
text. Plain text would be easier for me, but then someone else would
have to patch my revisions into the real documents - possibly an
unnecessary step.

I had a quick look at docbook.org and there seems to be quite a lot to
it. I also glanced at Serna Free - Open Source XML Editor. Maybe
something like that would be easy enough for me to learn quickly given
that my immediate needs are rather minimal.

The remaining issues would be how the work would get to me, where I
would deliver it, and how decisions would be made about proposed changes
to the content.

Hopefully, there will be some sort of area for working documents where
changes could be installed and reviewed by a few people before everybody
else gets to see obvious mistakes and typos, etc.

In the last few months, I've been doing some editing for another project
collaborating with the documents' author. Other than that, I haven't
done a lot of work where two or more people were contributing to the
same elements at the same time, so this will be a learning process for me.

I don't have unlimited free time, but I'd definitely like to help.

Joe