[KPhotoAlbum] Preparing for new release

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Feb 9 10:06:29 GMT 2012

On 02/09/2012 12:54 AM, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Johannes Zarl<isilmendil at gmx.net>  wrote:
>> On Wednesday 08 February 2012 15:55:40 Miika Turkia wrote:
>>> However, I have no clue about docbook and with a bit of googling was
>>> not able to convert the docbook documentation to any readable format.
>> I looked a little bit into it and saw that the main CMakeLists.txt is missing
>> "add_subdirectory( doc )". If you add this, cmake will use "meinproc4" to
>> convert the docbook files to a bzip2ed html file build/doc/index.cache.bz2.
>>
>> I have no idea, however what the build-option KDE4_ENABLE_HTMLHANDBOOK does,
>> though...
> OK, this seems to be a working setup. When adding the
> add_subdirectory( doc ) and compiling and installing the KPA the
> manual seems to be accessible through KPA help->KPhotoAlbum Handbook
> or simply F1 (I had to install khelpcenter4 for this).
>
> miika

Wow. There is a help function! Please add this to the next release. But
also check how outdated the content may be.

<rant>
All KDE documentation (not including non-KDE sites that explain things)
I have found so far is in an HTML/hypertext format.
This is fine as far as it goes and does provide a lot of good
information, but ...
AFAIK, there is no way to search one entire manual to find something.
The only searches I see search within one page and pages are almost
always very short so that doesn't really help at all. Also, hypertext
manuals are very difficult to print for those of us who still use paper
with scribbles and highlighting.

I'm not asking for KPA to invent/adopt a new documentation method. That
would undoubtedly be a separate project subject to much debate. Just
keep in mind that "linear" or "flat" documentation is not without its
uses and if there is some easy way to produce it that I don't know about
(other than writing it that way to start with) it would be great to make
it available or at least add some hooks for it in the future.

wikis are hypertext too - same problem.
Google site: search doesn't help at all - at least on the KDE sites
because it searches the entirety of KDE.

<rant/>

Joe