[KPhotoAlbum] Problems with current KPA from git

Jesper K. Pedersen blackie at kde.org
Mon Aug 20 08:55:12 BST 2012

Hi,

Hope your other questions from yesterday was answered. Let me know if there
are still open questions.

Regarding new features. I'm open to other people sneaking in new features for
the next version, but personally, I will be more than busy with finishing the
improved video support.

Regarding mplayer. I agree that it might be a bit hostile to insist on mplayer
on the system, but even just thumbnails for videos are done with mplayer. So
if you do not have mplayer, and you have a single video you will be doomed :-)

It would be rather a lot of work to ensure all code paths works fine even if
mplayer was not installed, so in that case I'd rather just insist on it.

BTW: If your system offer mplayer2, please use that instead of mplayer, as
mplayer2 is much better at extracting length of videos.

On Sunday, August 19, 2012 14:31:27 Martin Jost wrote:
> Hello,
>
> so my curiosity brought me to try the version from git.
>
> >> git log
> >
> > commit 2eb2501eed2aa1ddff5d2cca4c8d047c57a81789
> > Author: Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at kde.org>
> > Date:   Sat Aug 18 14:29:34 2012 +0200
> >
> >     only enable the 'use next/prev video thumbnail' if a video is enabled
>
> But currently I can't even start it:
> Right at the start, it complains about a missing mplayer and aborts.
> Funny part: I have no film at all in my test-collection I'm using.
> Even if I had, I would expect KPA to start and just have this missing
> from the features-list.
>
> So I'm now going to try to install mplayer and see what happens next..
>
> Regards
>
> Martin
thousands of images?