[KPhotoAlbum] Feature Request: Handling of stacks during operations

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Sun Aug 19 06:43:32 BST 2012

Hello,

I've seen the discussion concerning a new release.
I have one feature wish (but see end of message..)

I have quite a lot of stacks in KPA. Usually they contain panoramas or
bracketed photos, with the "combined" image on top of the stack.
Now there are two behaviours of KPA which a somewhat contradictory:
1.
If I tag a stack, with the stack closed, only the top image of the stack
will get tagged. I would expect to tag the whole stack. (As opposed to
opening the stack and selecting some of the images to tag)
2.
If I have stacks closed, then select all visible images and copy images
by drag and drop from KPA to a directory, I get all images copied - even
the "lower" ones in the stack. I would like to have only the top image
of a stack copied IF the stack is closed.
Background: I do this copying to get the images out to create web albums
using JAlbum or to copy them on a memory stick to view them on the TV.
In both cases I only want the combined photos.
(Besides this would look obvious to me: You do the operation on the
visible photos)

2a.
When I think of it, an operation in the context menu "Close all
(visible) stacks" and "Open all (visible) stacks)" would be nice.

So probably it's much too late for a feature request right now - let me
know if I should enter it in the bugtracker or wherever else if the
feature makes sense but is too late now...
(Or if similar features are already present (where ?) or planned)

Regards and thanks for one of my favorite programs (*) !

Martin

BTW: I've seen a discussion concerning "kphotoalbumrc". This looks like
a problem to me. I e.g. missed the "Maintenance/Automatically stack
images", due to an old "kphotoalbumrc".
How is this supposed to work ?
If I delete "kphotoalbumrc" I get a new one with all new features, but
loose my settings.
If I leave it untouched, I keep my settings, but might never see some of
the new options.
(I will now merge the "old" and "new" file using emacs ediff - but this
is a real geeky approach...)
To me it seems the visibility of a feature and the user setting should
be two different things.
Maybe KPA needs a sort of central "kphotoalbumrc", installed with the
program. This one is read first - making all features visible.
Then the user file - if it exists - is read, overwriting these options,
where the user requested specific settings.
(This still leaves the problem of incompatible updates...)

(*)
I searched for something similar to KPA for my sister for use under
windows. The usage of the program I came up with finally, looks somewhat
clumsy compared to KPA. I REALLY like, that KPA shows that the
developers are actively using their own program !