[KPhotoAlbum] raw, jpg, duplicates in index.xml

Vitus Jensen vjensen at gmx.de
Sat Apr 21 20:25:59 BST 2012

Hello Andreas,

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012, Andreas Neustifter wrote:

> On 11.04.2012, at 06:50, Vitus Jensen <vjensen at gmx.de>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012, Vitus Jensen wrote:
> >
> > > Lately I was looking at my index.xml more closely as now several users
> > > will use it and I noticed that when there are raw and jpg files available
> > > it's kind of random which is stored in the index.xml.  Sometimes, but not
> > > always, both are stored.  I even remember that I had to blacklist one
> > > kind, once, to remove duplicates from display.
> > >
> > > Which way should it be?
> >
> > To clarify:
> > * I'm using KPhotoAlbum 4.1.1-r1 under gentoo and KPhotoAlbum 4.1.1-3+b1
> > under Debian.
> > * I'm not using any stacking feature but expect KPhotoAlbum to
> >  automatically detect several formats of the same picture by looking at
> >  the basename of the file.
> >
> > This works fine (except once), with .pef and .jpg files.  I now did some
> > counting and I have 3344 raws on disk but only 3077 in index.xml.  This
> > means the solution I have to implement is to add the missing raws to
> > index.xml, by duplicating the existing .jpg entry and changing the file
> > extension.
> >
> > Let's hope I don't hit create duplicates in the view by doing it.
>
> I guess the "missing" RAW files are due to a setting in KPA that prevents
> adding the RAW if a JPG is already present.

This is a setting I always had enabled (don't read raw if jpg or tif exists).
Nevertheless the statistics says:

Total entries in Images: 31050
Blocklist: 1094 non-existing; 0 in Images, too
Images: 0 file missing; 156 in other format missing
Both formats already in database: 6152

This means that there are 6152+156 raws on my disk; 6152 of them are in the
database, together with jpg.  In 156 cases either jpg or raw is missing in the
database.

> KPA was originally intended as sorting and managing program that was concerned
> with having only one copy of a picture to work with.
>
> By adding the RAWs you will most certainly get duplicates if you are not
> stacking them.

I had no time to try it yet but if I get duplicates by adding those 156 files
how did KPA manage to get the 6152 images right?  Automatically, because I don't
do stacking, I rely on KPhotoAlbum.

And if I remove the 6152 raws from the database, will KPA remove the raw if I
press delete on the jpg??

> Before doing anything though: please backup (thats always the first step!).

Of course.  And I'm in the progress of recalculating checksums, just to have an
up-to-date database.

Vitus

--
Schneesturm in Florida - ganz Miami Vice
/"\