[KPhotoAlbum] Likelihood of duplicate images?

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 05:51:38 BST 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 5:21 AM, Tim McCormack <kpa at brainonfire.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A couple of questions from the perspective of writing a tool to work
> with KPA:
>
> * How likely is a user to have binary-identical images in their KPA
>  store? (Or, is there a reason for this to be intentional/not
>  undesirable?)

I don't think we currently try to avoid having identical images. If user has
duplicates under Pics directory then we readily include them in KPA. There
is a feature to automatically stack identical images (md5 sum matches) but
that is more or less all we currently do. Users are free to have duplicates
or get rid of them if they so desire.

> * Does KPA have a documented behavior (that I should mimic) for
>  handling duplicates?

Nope. If image is moved we detect that by the MD5 sum and update the
metadata (however, I have no idea how well that works with duplicates)