[KPhotoAlbum] Selecting/tagging images by resolution

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sat May 28 20:30:34 BST 2011

On 05/28/2011 02:06 AM, Risto H. Kurppa wrote:
>> Thanks for the quick reply. If anyone else wants it, it would be a great
>> addition to kpa. I don't have the particular coding skills to add it myself.
>>
>> I'll consider your second alternative. I write a lot of bash scripts and
>> that doesn't sound too hard.
>>
>> I do have some concerns about moving the physical files around so that the
>> whole collection wouldn't be in rough date order when I access them directly
>> without a photo manager application. But that might not be a problem because
>> the low res photos should be in contiguous batches by date anyway. I'll see.
> Doesn't exif search in KPA know how to do this?
>
> If not, what'd happen if you use bash&  exiftool to symlink all large
> images to a single folder, then open that folder with KPA, tag them as
> 'large', then save and remove symlinks?
>
> And as far as I know, KPA sorts the files based on EXIF date, not file date

kpa 4.1.1 exif search has lots of cool options, but I didn't see this one.

I think your strategy  sounds good, but:

See if I've got this right:
The central question for me is - where are the tags stored?  Aren't they
in the kpa database and not in the images themselves?
I don't understand how doing something to the symlinked photos would
affect the originals in the kpa database unless the tags are stored in
the images themselves.

To make it work, the new folder would have to be added in the current
kpa image tree so the new tags would end up in the current database.
This would add a lot of (virtual) pictures to the database.
Once I was done and deleted the new folder, all those virtual images
would go away (hopefully).  Wouldn't the new tags go with them?  And
would I have to do some rescan to clean up the database?

Thanks.

Joe