[KPhotoAlbum] Selecting/tagging images by resolution

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Fri May 27 23:17:56 BST 2011

On 05/27/2011 06:36 AM, Jesper K. Pedersen wrote:
> I don't think kpa has any feature for that. I see two solutions:
> 1/ modify kpa to have it
> 2/ use shellscripts to identify the images with high enough res, and move those to a high res dir. If you run recalculate md5 before that, then kpa will notice that the images have moved, and move the tags for you.
>
> Den 27/05/2011  kl. 11.22 skrev Joe<josephj at main.nc.us>:
>
>> I am starting to use some photos for publication.  Only "high" resolution images are accepted.  For my camera, that's 7.1MP.
>> When I search for pictures to use, I would like to automatically eliminate from consideration any that were not taken at a sufficient resolution.
>>
>> When I double click on an image, the annotations that display with the enlarged image show the resolution, but only for one picture at a time.
>>
>> Is there a way to select all pictures that are n MP or more in size?  Can I mass tag them with a resolution keyword or something similar - without having to look at them one by one?   I currently have almost 20,000 photos with a lot more coming, so doing anything one by one would be operationally infinite.
>>
>> I looked under Search and Exif Search and didn't find anything.
>>
>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> Joe
>> kpa 4.1.1 kubuntu lucid

Thanks for the quick reply. If anyone else wants it, it would be a great
addition to kpa. I don't have the particular coding skills to add it myself.

I'll consider your second alternative. I write a lot of bash scripts and
that doesn't sound too hard.

I do have some concerns about moving the physical files around so that
the whole collection wouldn't be in rough date order when I access them
directly without a photo manager application. But that might not be a
problem because the low res photos should be in contiguous batches by
date anyway. I'll see.

Joe