[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum Crashes when viewing thumbnails

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Sun May 15 06:34:24 BST 2011

On 05/14/2011 10:19 PM, Tim McCormack wrote:
> On 05/14/2011 03:19 PM, Murray Strome wrote:
>> I have close to 7,000 photos in the directory/subdirectories where
>> I am keeping the photos. Every time I start KPA with those photos, as soon as I
>> select "View Thumbnails", it crashes.
> Is there any criterion you can do a binary search by? E.g., search by
> Content=animals, check thumbnails. If KPA doesn't crash, add a tag. If it does
> crash, try as orthogonal a tag as you can, to try and narrow it down.
>
> I'm having trouble figuring out how to do a *real* binary search, since KPA
> isn't good at negative selection like Content != animal. For this I usually
> clear my Tokens, add token X to all Content=animal, then go back and select
> Tokens=None. Perhaps someone else can suggest a way of adding Tokens without
> going to thumbnail view?
>
> Anyway, filtering by folder might also be valuable.
>
>   - Tim McCormack

Instead of filtering, you could just copy a few of your pictures to
another location on your disk and start up KPA pointing at that
directory instead of your main one.
If that works, then you could gradually add more of your pictures to the
new location or swap out one group for another.

A test like this isn't perfect because KPA will build a new database for
these pictures without any of your tags, etc., but it still might tell
you something about what's going on and only requires basic computer
skills to do.

Doing this will not affect your current KPA database, so, when you point
KPA back to it, all your tags, etc. will still be there.

Joe