[KPhotoAlbum] Unique ID per image?

Tim McCormack kpa at brainonfire.net
Sat May 14 18:38:02 BST 2011

Several years ago I wrote some scripts to convert my KPhotoAlbum (then KimDaBa)
database and photos into a tag-searchable gallery website. I'm in the process of
rewriting the software into something I wouldn't be ashamed to distribute with
my name on it, and I'm again running into an annoying aspect of KPA's database
format: There is no unique ID per image.

My old solution was to assign a unique ID in my MySQL copy of the database, then
reconcile moved and edited images by their filename and MD5 "IDs", somewhat
duplicating logic already present in KPA, and a bit hard to get right.

How much work would it be to add a unique ID field to images in KPA's database,
one that would remain associated with the image through any series of moves and
edits?

 - Tim McCormack