[KPhotoAlbum] Patch to ignore symlinks when reading files

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 4 12:56:46 GMT 2011

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 08:32:08 +0100, =?UTF-8?B?SmFuIEt1bmRyw6F0?= wrote:

> On 12/26/10 02:45, Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> Attached is a patch to allow the user to skip symlinks when loading files.
>
> What's the motivation for this patch? In my opinion, KPA already has
> plenty of options for controlling what gets loaded and what doesn't, one
> of recent additions are regular expressions for file name.
>
> I wonder what would be the use case for this, and how it would play with
> the usual advice for that "why KPA doesn't support multiple
> directories", which is "use a symlink".

I'm creating panorama or HDR images using a set of individual shots,
each in their own directory.  I export the selected shots as symlinks
pointing back into my main image tree and build the panorama.  After
doing this, I move the directory with the panorama -- and the symlinks
back to the source files -- into my main image directory.  I want kpa
to find the new panorama, but to ignore the symlinks pointing back to
the actual image files.