[KPhotoAlbum] Picture selection workflow, etc.

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 05:36:34 GMT 2011

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 07:23 AM, Joe wrote:
>>
>> On 12/29/2011 12:03 AM, Miika Turkia wrote:
>>>
>>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Joe<josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
>>> I sure understand if you are not willing to compile KPA yourself but
>>> just in case:
>>> https://mail.kdab.com/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2011-July/004747.html
>>
>> I'm willing (and probably able). There's just so many hours in a day!
>>
>> I'll take a look and see if I can manage it. Thanks.
>>
>>> miika

> The instructions in your previous post look simple enough. On this notebook,
> I'm effectively the only user so I can do it just as you outline.
>
> On our other notebook, there are two users which need access to KPA. I could
> just install it twice as above, but it would be nicer to do it system wide.
> What would I have to do differently for that?

You can just set the CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX to location that is
accessible to all users. Naturally during the make install you also
need to make sure the user you use for install has write access to the
target location. (I have it installed under /opt but /usr/local would
work just as well, or even easier as it is in the PATH by default)

> I know git is the latest, greatest, but I haven't used any source code
> control since *very* long ago on a couple of IBM mainframes, so I don't know
> my way around it at all.
>
> I do have my own very small project which might benefit from it if I got the
> hang of it. I've also read posts of people using it as a document control
> system and I might have a use for that as well.

The learning curve for git is a bit deeper than for other source
control but then again it is very flexible and versatile. The basic
functionality is easy enough...

miika