[KPhotoAlbum] Picture selection workflow, etc.

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu Dec 29 22:43:39 GMT 2011

On 12/29/2011 07:23 AM, Joe wrote:
> On 12/29/2011 12:03 AM, Miika Turkia wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 12:49 AM, Joe<josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
>>> Great! Continue Later is exactly what I want for the first issue.
>>>
>>> Maybe someday there'll be a KPA manual to look these things up in.
>>> That's the weakest link in an otherwise outstanding project.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>>
>>> More responses inline.

>>> Not entirely sure what you mean by "dynamic selection based on some
>>> search
>>> criteria within the current set of images".
>> Marking images by a keyword or some other search criteria (within the
>> selection). Just like control clicking the ones you want, except the
>> selection would be done by search results automatically. Somewhat
>> different use-case than what you describe but almost same as the first
>> phase of your explanation.
> That would be really neat. Now if I had a picture recognition program
> that could "see" all the pictures that had deer in them and tag them ....
>>> What I want is to see attributes of a selection of pictures that
>>> don't all
>>> have exactly the same attributes.
>>>
>>> Thumbnails won't help very much because it shows attributes one at a
>>> time so
>>> I'd have to look at the thumbnail of every picture.
>>> Also, thumbnails are mostly unusable for me in KPA 4.1.1 because
>>> there's no
>>> delay displaying them on mouse over so they jump all over the place
>>> when I
>>> move the mouse. I requested a fix for this and someone did it almost
>>> right
>>> away, but since I haven't yet figured out how to build KPA from git,
>>> etc., I
>>> don't have access to it. (See my post on the new release thread.)
>> I sure understand if you are not willing to compile KPA yourself but
>> just in case:
>> https://mail.kdab.com/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2011-July/004747.html
> I'm willing (and probably able). There's just so many hours in a day!
>
> I'll take a look and see if I can manage it. Thanks.
>
>> miika

The instructions in your previous post look simple enough. On this
notebook, I'm effectively the only user so I can do it just as you outline.

On our other notebook, there are two users which need access to KPA. I
could just install it twice as above, but it would be nicer to do it
system wide.
What would I have to do differently for that?

I know git is the latest, greatest, but I haven't used any source code
control since *very* long ago on a couple of IBM mainframes, so I don't
know my way around it at all.

I do have my own very small project which might benefit from it if I got
the hang of it. I've also read posts of people using it as a document
control system and I might have a use for that as well.

Joe