[KPhotoAlbum] Git for KPA

Andreas Neustifter astifter at gmx.at
Mon Feb 22 05:57:50 GMT 2010

Hi!

On 22.02.2010, at 01:48, Jan Kundrát wrote:

> [re-send because I apparently can't pick up the correct address in a
> first attempt tonight]
>
> Andreas Neustifter wrote:
>> BTW: what do you KPA guys and gals think about an git mirror of KPA
>> at
>> github?
>
> Me and Tuomas are using git-svn already for tracking the SVN repo, it
> works fine for us. Given Jesper's attitude to VCS switching, I do not
> expect a switch before KDE switches as a whole.

Thats fine, I'm not proposing a switch, rather an alternative way to
access the SVN repo.

> I do not really care,
> I'm happy with SVN (modulo huge pain when doing branches "the KDE SVN
> way"). The checkout took some time, but it surely completed in way
> less
> time than one hour.

That depends on whether the history is preserved and ported to git or
not. Just fetching the latest revision from SVN into a git is quite
fast, but having some amount of history is slow. (I'm not sure, the
real import maybe took 30 minutes, the other 30 minutes were
tinkering :-)

> Right now, SVN certainly does not constitute any obstacle in KPA
> development for me.

Not for me either, as I said: I like using git as a fancy way of
accessing svn :-)

> I'm not sure it's a good idea to make your SVN-cloned repo available
> for
> other to pull from BTW, but I'm no git wizard.

What are the concerns? I'm having a plain mirror no branches, no
additional code, just a starting point for quickly cloning the thing.
(And yes, for people with SVN-write-access this really doesn't make
sense, but for all the folks that send in patches anyways I guess its
fine...)

Andi