[KPhotoAlbum] Patch for loading only one version of a file into the DB.

Andreas Neustifter andreas.neustifter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 7 06:51:05 GMT 2010

Hi!

On 6 December 2010 12:45, Jan Kundrát <jkt at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 12/01/10 22:38, Andreas Neustifter wrote:
>>
>> I wrote a patch that adds an option to only load one version of an
>> image and skips all other files with same file name but different
>> extensions.
>
> Hi, considering that idea, wouldn't it make more sense to actually replace
> the reference to the RAW file with the JPEG one? That should give you faster
> access to the image as well as "better viewing experience" because the JPEG
> one presumably has stuff like color correction applied.

I don't know about the general case but my camera puts a JPG preview
into the RAWs EXIF data. This preview looks almost identical to the
developed RAW file , since KPA uses this JPG previews there is no
difference between the JPEG and RAW viewing experiences. But I guess
in the overall case this replacement would make sense.

> I realize that would
> be quite a lot of work to do that properly, but the current patch looks like
> adding yet another option.

That was what worried me too, another option is seldom the solution. I
guess I will have to look into the replacing thingie.

> Maybe enabling this functionality (the one you
> just added) unconditionally when the "ignore raw files" option is set?

I don't like this idea since the user experience would be different
than expected.

But maybe its possible to just throw out the "no RAW when JPEG" option
and use the more general "only one image per extension" rule? Any
comments from other users?

> In addition to that, personally I wouldn't apply a patch that doesn't follow
> the existing coding convention. The preferred way of doing "if" is to have
> the opening bracket on the same line. See generic KDE coding style docs for
> more details.

Sorry about that, between all the different projects I'm working on I
sometimes get confused, I will really try to take that into account
the next time.

Thanks for the feedback!

Andi