[KPhotoAlbum] Patch for loading only one version of a file into the DB.

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Mon Dec 6 11:45:56 GMT 2010

On 12/01/10 22:38, Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> I really like the function of KPA to not load RAW files if another
> matching image file is available.
>
> What bugs me is that often I only shoot in RAW, manage those RAW files
> and only later on (sometimes much later) create JPGs or PNGs. Those
> newly created JPGs/PNGs are then loaded into KPA because the "don't
> load RAW if matching JPG" of course does not work in this case.
>
> I wrote a patch that adds an option to only load one version of an
> image and skips all other files with same file name but different
> extensions.

Hi, considering that idea, wouldn't it make more sense to actually
replace the reference to the RAW file with the JPEG one? That should
give you faster access to the image as well as "better viewing
experience" because the JPEG one presumably has stuff like color
correction applied. I realize that would be quite a lot of work to do
that properly, but the current patch looks like adding yet another
option. Maybe enabling this functionality (the one you just added)
unconditionally when the "ignore raw files" option is set?

In addition to that, personally I wouldn't apply a patch that doesn't
follow the existing coding convention. The preferred way of doing "if"
is to have the opening bracket on the same line. See generic KDE coding
style docs for more details.

Cheers,
-jkt

--