[KPhotoAlbum] Compiling recent KPhotoAlbum for Debian Lenny

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Mon Sep 7 09:53:55 BST 2009

Matthias Heukäufer venit, vidit, dixit 05.09.2009 20:45:
> On Samstag 05 September 2009, Michael J Gruber wrote:
>> Matthias Heukäufer venit, vidit, dixit 07.08.2009 18:00:
>>> I might have an idea about what's wrong with the raw images. According to
>>> the manual page of dcraw it rotates the images while decoding them ("By
>>> default, dcraw applies the flip specified by the camera. -t 0 disables
>>> all flipping."). Looking at the console output while KPhotoAlbum was
>>> generating thumbnails, I confirmed that there is no -t option used with
>>> kdcraw. Is it possible that KPhotoalbum rotates images again that are
>>> already orientated correctly? In this case, passing the -t 0 option to
>>> kdcraw might solve the
>>
>> Yes, that's exactly what is happening, and what I fixed back then for
>> KPA 3. But the codepath has changed completely, so my fix from back then
>> does not apply any more.
>>
>> That, together with the constant hope that Bibble5 is usable one day, is
>> keeping me from investing too much in KPA these days. We'll see;)
>>
> Thank you for the hint. With your name I was finally able to find your patch
> (http://osdir.com/ml/kde.kimdaba/2007-02/msg00058.html). I vaguely remembered
> that someone had already found a solution for this. Sad, that your patch
> didn't make it into the code. I am still hoping that I might find the time to

Oh, I think it made it into some KPA3 version, but the KPA4 path is
different. It actually is much better: If I remember correctly then
creating thumbnails and displaying raw previews used to use different
codepaths but uses the same now.

> create a patch myself. With limited time and even more limited programming
> skills, nobody should hold his breath, though.

I managed to get to compile KPA off trunk with working exif db now
(again; it has been a while since), so who knows, may I'll lokk at it,
too. The system crash when trying to regenerate the db kept me from
going further the other day. (It assume it was due to the prop. nvidia
drivers, I don't think KPA can manage to freeze my whole system.)

In case you dig deeper: KPA used to behave differently depending on how
large the embedded jpg preview in the raw is (use embedded jpg or call
dcraw, now via libkdcraw). And, at least for some Canon cameras, that
depends on the raw mode (RAW vs. RAW+JPG).

Michael