[KPhotoAlbum] compiling kphotoalbum on kde4 for windows

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Wed Jul 15 20:56:42 BST 2009

07.09 at martignier.net schrieb:
> first: sorry for my really bad english.
>
> tried to compile kphotoalbum on a kde4 windows installation.
> it doesn't work because of x11 missing...
Hello,

as I've understood, getting it to compile on Windows will be quite hard.
(E.g. you would need all the depending libs, a little bit differing on
what you need, like (k)exi(fv), sqlite, ...)
But hopefully someone from the developers can give you better advice on
this.

I face the same problem, if I carry fotos to friends of mine: Nearly all
have Windows, so KPA won't run.
(And if they would let me install SW on their computer is a different
thing too...)

So my "trick" is to have
- a bootable CD/DVD with a linux live system (I use knoppix)
- an addtion to the live system containing KPA on a memory stick.

So far I didn't find a live system including (a recent version) of KPA.
So I'm using a filesystem image on the memory stick which is mounted
using union-FS "on top" of the live system. The fotos and the KPA
"database" (index.xml) can then be on the hard disc of the computer.

I have described the procedure in the Wiki:
http://userbase.kde.org/KPhotoAlbum_on_Knoppix for KPA 3.0.1.
(At the moment the link to the image on my homepage is dead, because I
needed the room for fotos :-)
Maybe I find sometimes time to update this to KPA4 (which would at first
require a KDE 4.x live system)

Hope this helps - a little bit

Martin