[KPhotoAlbum] (yet another) html front end

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 5 14:42:09 GMT 2009

--- On Fri, 1/2/09, kphotoalbum-request at kdab.net <kphotoalbum-request at kdab.net> wrote:
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:31:04 +0100
From: jedd <jedd at progsoc.org>
Subject: [KPhotoAlbum] (yet another) html front end
To: kphotoalbum at kdab.net

 Greetings busy people,

 A couple of months ago I got excited (all over again) at the idea
 of organising my photos - thanks to a multi-country, 4-month
 holiday looming.  I realised early on that I really wanted something
 a bit more dynamic than the current web front end offerings, and
 ideally something that would 'just work'.  The simplest approach I
 could come up with was to have a php (it's the only appropriate
 language I'm familiar with) script talking directly to the file system
 where the pictures and the index.xml file live (it therefore has some
 security implications, as below).  To publish a picture, you simply
 nominate a Keyword-tag (I use 'PUB - jedd'), save the config, and then
 hit the web page.  The php scripts generate three cached files (I use
 my own caching system) - the thumbnail, the inline picture, and a
 'huge' image (from an original of about 4mb, these cached images
 are around 16kB, 170kB, and 400kB respectively).

 I have a functioning system cranked up on my server, visible
 to young and old at :

 http://dingogully.com.au/kphpalbum

Right now what I'm after is basically some ideas on :

 o  whether this is likely to be useful to anyone else.  (I see the
     subject pop up periodically, and most people seem to write
     their own custom script, or learn to live with the html export)

 o  ideas on functionality - present or missing.  (I have a TODO
     list somewhere that I should put into the footer on that page,
     but will briefly go through known issues below.)

 o  ideas on layout - as I've developed this on my MSI Wind, and
     in case anyone doesn't know .. this is a painfully small, 8"
     laptop, with a 1024x600 resolution - so I know that things are
     going to look quite weird on a Real Machine.  I also develop
     with konqueror, so I expect things will look even weirder with
     IE (not that many of us use IE, I expect) or Firefox.

<------------------------------------>
 I have tarballed up the code AS IT STANDS - but mind, this is
 pretty ugly and I'm not proud of the internals (is anyone ever?).

 URL is as above but tack on /kphpalbum.tgz

 Installation is .. badly documented.  But it's painfully simple - just
 modify the config.php file with the path to your picture repository
 (that is, the directory with the index.xml file in it).  For the sake
 of security you could have a symlink that is hard to guess, and
 perhaps several directories deep, that points back to that location
 (this is what I do).

I will have to try this. I like your concept. I especially like all the information that it contains. If I were a graphics artist, I could probably suggest some ways to improve the appearance. The only thing I can suggest is looking at some sites such as Google's Picassa for a ideas on a bit neater appearance. However, I suspect that you are primarily interested in functionality, which appears pretty good to me.

Murray