[KPhotoAlbum] (yet another) html front end

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Sun Jan 4 16:58:55 GMT 2009

jedd wrote:
>  Yup, though a message from Jesper a few weeks back that I
>  saw on-list suggests that the next version will be using the
>  index.xml file backend.  Rough calculations suggest that it's
>  at least a year after that before the SQL backend pops up in
>  the stable branch, and presumably 2+ years before the XML
>  backend is dropped - though I reckon it'd never be dropped
>  completely from the code (?).

The ultimate plan (tm) is to drop the XML backend in some point in
future. Nobody knows when is this going to happen and it's possible that
we'll change our mind. What is very probable is that the next release
will include both of them with XML being the default. We'd love to make
the SQL stable and ready for use as well.

>  In either case, the SQL stuff is not entirely beyond my humble
>  abilities, and the XML-loading right now is done within a single
>  function within functions.php - it'd be relatively straightforward
>  to migrate to a SQL function call down the track, I suspect.

When I wrote my web frontend, XML parsing in Python using expat was too
slow to be usable and I had to convert the DB to a custom SQL DB. having
  to wait for five seconds or more with a database of 20k items was not
acceptable.

Cheers,
-jkt

--