[KPhotoAlbum] Suggestion: Relations between images

Paul Fleischer paul at xpg.dk
Fri Feb 1 11:45:56 GMT 2008

2008/2/1, Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at blackie.dk>:
> Hi Paul, great work.

Thanks

> I was slightly puzzled about your use of "one-to-one", couldn't it easily be
> one-to-many? Like Original<->"list of manipulated images"?

When I started to think about the concept, I chose to have a
one-to-one relation just to
make life easier. But now that you mention it, I cannot see any reason
not to have one-to-many or many-to-many relations. I'll try to come up
with some usage scenarios that will enlight me :-)

> A problem I personally have that might or might not be solved with this (I
> just bring it to your attention thats all), is that sometimes I have like 20
> images more or less the same, I really just want one, but I can't make my
> mind up, which. So here I'd like a way to say these 20 are all my dog chasing
> its tale, and if I one day need a chasing tale image for something specific,
> then I would find that one image in the thumbnail view, and would be able to
> expand it into all 20.

Yeah, that is a common situation. I'm not quite sure if relations
could solve this, as we would need to have a relation between all of
the images. But I'll try to think a bit harder about it, as this kind
of grouping would be very handy to have.

> Before you continue coding, may I bring to your attention that the days of the
> Qt3 branch are counted, so you may wish to code against the Qt 4 one.

Ahh great, I'll check it out this weekend, just for the fun of it.
I'll probably don't start coding on this relation stuff before the
idea has been matured a bit more. While working with the
grouping/hierarchy patches I kinda undestood that this is much more
difficult than I originally though :-)

/Paul