[KPhotoAlbum] Gentoo setup help

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Mon Dec 22 02:19:44 GMT 2008

Ted Miller wrote:
> What I am finding is that I have the media-libs/tiff package emerged,
> but programs are acting like it is not there.  For example, kview does
> not list *.tif files under "all images", and it will not open them if it
> does find them.  Does not seem to make a difference if they are 8 or 16
> bit, it acts like it does not think they are images, or at least not
> images it can handle.  I updated my USE flags to match yours, and then
> did a "emerge --update --newuse tiff", but that didn't seem to change
> things either.

Well, it seems that you're a bit confused by the concept of USE flags.
You basically *don't* install or remove a package in order to get a
particular feature, you just set up a USE flag and rebuild *all*
affected packages. The command you used here rebuilt only the
media-libs/tiff package, leaving everything else intact. What you want
to run now is `emerge --update --newuse world`.

You might want to read our handbook as well, especially its part on USE
flags [1].

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Merry Christmas,
-jkt